Thursday, December 15, 2011

What is the average hourly pay for a massage therapist?

I will be starting school in the spring to become a licensed massage therapist. I am wondering what the average hourly pay for a massage therapist is, and also what the average tip is. I live/will be working in the Fairfax, VA area.|||In a medium sized city on the Olympic Peninsula, in Washington State, the going rate is $45-$65/hour.|||It's not hourly pay; it's usually commission or a split, the percentage of which varies but in VA it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 50/50. I wouldn't take anything less than that, and look for more if you are providing and maintaining all your own supplies. Tips are going to vary from area to area and from establishment to establishment. Fairfax is part of Northern VA where the cost of living and average income are much higher than in the rest of the state, so I would expect generous tippers, especially if you work in a nice spa.

No comments:

Post a Comment