Saturday, December 17, 2011

What is the average price for a puppy in a pet store?

I am reasearching average prices on certain puppies and I was wondering what the average price was in a pet store; like in malls. I'd rather rescue a puppy, if they have what I am looking for, than pay a breeder double what I would in a store.|||Not many pet stores sell puppies state side anymore. Go to petfinder.com put in your zip code and get a list of shelters and rescues you can get one from.. I got my dog and cat from them in the last year. I paid $100 for the dog.. and$75 for the cat.|||Puppies in pet stores most often come from puppy mills. If you want to rescue a dog, go to the animal shelter or contact your nearest breed rescue group for whatever breed you're interested in. If you want a full bred dog, go to a reputable breeder. It may cost a little more, but the health and disposition of the puppy willmost likely be much better, and you won't be contributing to the continuation of somebody's puppy factory!|||UInfortunately most puppies from pet stores, or the stores in the mall come from puppy mills!!!!!!! That is why they don't have a specific breed to sell. I say go to your local humane society, or a reputable breeder. Or like in our case, we found someone who had an "accidental" litter with the dog next door and got one off them, at which point the people used the money to get their dog"fixed".|||Please adopt a puppy instead. There are so many of them looking for a home. Why would you want to pay for something that hurts animals in the process? Read up on some of these dog mills and how they treat their animals just to breed them. You can be spending 1000's of dollars for a sick pup and not even know it. Visit you local adoption facility.|||I think around 300 dollars (where I'm from,and I'm in japan)|||Here in Georgia, we had one store in our mall (Augusta) that sold puppies, it was shut down a few weeks ago because the owner decided to retire. Most puppies you see in the mall are from puppy mills and usually ill although they may have their shots. The puppies we're extremely expensive also (anywhere between $600-$3,000).





Personal Experience: One of my friends, her mother bought her a puppy from the mall for a birthday gift. The puppy was young but within 3 weeks of her having it the puppy became ill and was had to put down.





I am proud of you for thinking about rescuing also which is also a good decision. Although purebreds may seem like gorgeous dogs, I don't think you will ever find a better companion than a mixed breed rescue.





I have two pure breds, I did not purchase them though, they were gave to me by friends that could not take care of them anymore. I also have one mixed breed stray and he has been the best dog and I adore him, he's my favorite. (Don't tell my others though...LOL) :)





I believe rescued dogs are more affectionate also because you are giving them a "forever home" and have not ever been in that situation and appreciate any kind of love they can get.





Whatever decision you may make, good luck and congratulations (when you make your decision) on your new addition to the family!|||If you want to adopt a puppy go to a shelter. Pet stores buy their puppies from puppy mills and most of the time the puppy is unhealthy. I have also found that puppies in pet stores cost no more than buying a puppy from a reputable breeder. Especially when you consider all the vet bills you will probably end up w/ when buying a pet store puppy.|||They range from $450-$1,000 depending on the breed but you also have to think about the fact that puppies in pet stores come from puppy mills and are usually full of health and behavioral problems because they have been neglected. Some pups have never really had human contact until you bring them home. I would call around to shelters, buying pups from pet stores just supports puppy mills. Not to be mean or anything, many people just don't know that. I also work at a shelter and would love to see more of our pups get homes for allot less then a breeder or pet store charges. Good luck on your new pup!|||Too expensive for something that is going to make a mess, smell, cause expenses and then die in 12 to 14 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment