Thursday, December 15, 2011

What is the average life expectancy for someone in end-stage renal failure on dialysis?

My Dad only has one kidney and he is a Type II Diabetic. He does not desire a kidney transplant. I live far away from him and wonder how long, on average people live on dialysis. I know that many factors influence longevity. I'm just wondering if, on average, it's days, months or years.|||It depends a lot on your dads other medical conditions, how well he complies with his doctors requests and his overall health. Some people can live quite a long time, while others deteriorate more quickly. Often if there is a history of cardiac/lung isses this can be problematic. |||I have been on hemodialysis for the past 7 years. I was on peritoneal dialysis for two years. I am still alright working full time. However, I see my condition deteriorate bit by bit but I still have the strength, coming from my family and friends, keeping me going.


Needs somethng strng to cling on

Report Abuse


|||Hi there :) It sounds like you are concerned about your dad. On average, I am not sure--I don't have a statistic. Although I have worked at a dialysis clinic for the past 2 years and many people have been on dialysis for 15 and 20 years. It becomes a part of their routine. A website that you or your dad might enjoy is www.ihatedialysis.com it is a website by dialysis patients for dialysis patients. It is very informative. |||My mom lived on dialysis for 6 years. Yes alot of factors play into it. My mom did good for 5 of the 6. During the 6th her health went down. Enjoy your time with each other.|||Only the Lord knows. His timing is always perfect.


I've know a friend who lived years on dialysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment