Monday, December 12, 2011

What is the average college professors annual salary?

Also, what is the difference in pay between the average grade-school teacher(K-12th grade) and the average college professor? What are the pros and cons of being a grade-school teacher and a college professor? Thanks in advance.|||salaries are very different regionally. And many pay scales depend on subject matter, where some schools have same rate regardless of the subject matter.





As far as the pros %26amp; cons of college/university/secondary/primary teaching, that also is a difficult issue. But I can at least give you one opinion (mine)





I chose to teach community college. I have limited experience at the university and the high school level.





My choice came down to what I consider the pros (as far as my priorities).





High-school administrators have too much control over what and how your teach. University level is great except (in my opinion) for the politics, and you generally are expected to concentrate on research and bring in grants and publish.





Community colleges generally allow professors to teach for the most part. There is a lot of politics, but you (the teacher/professor) have what is called "academic freedom" which allow you to teach the subject matter as you deem appropriate.





There are negatives, but for me the positive heavily outweigh the negatives.





My choice was basically made as I want to be in the classroom and be in control of how I present the material. That doesn't mean I get to do whatever I want, but as long as I am considered an expert in my field, I am given a lot of leeway.





I'm sure you will get some better responses, as my experience outside of two year college is very limited.





but I thought you might want different opinions.





...as far as salary (where I teach), it is dependent on how much education in a specific field you have. so disciplines don't matter. A person with a masters (if employed full time) makes about $40k to $60K per year (possibly more with summer and extra graduate hours). A PhD makes about 60k to 80k (+more with time) per year.|||College professors can make anything from $35,000 to several hundred thousand dollars, depending on their field, where they work, and the kind of work that they do. The higher salaries would go to prominent people, most likely in professional fields like medicine or law, and those whose major focus would be on research and consulting, rather than on teaching.





Most grade school teachers make less money than do most college professors, mostly because most college professors have Ph.D.s, and most grade school teachers have bachelor's degrees.





Grade school teachers are just that - teachers. They work with cute small children who are usually not completely jaded yet, and are willing to learn. They spend a lot of their workday in the classroom, and teach a variety of subject matters. Usually, they also have to deal more with parents than do most college professors.





College professors (other than those at community colleges, for the most part) are scholars, whose job involves a lot more than teaching. Most are expected to do a fair amount of research, along with their classroom work, and so they spend a lot of time reading in their fields, consulting with their colleagues at other colleges, and usually do less teaching than do grade school teachers. They generally teach in their area of specialization, and are not expected to teach anything too far beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment