Monday, December 12, 2011

What is the average salary for a car salesperson?

I need to know the average salary for a class project. If you know what the average salary is and you have a source (not that you have to have a source), let me know.|||It really does vary from state to state, city to city, and even dealership to dealership. I have been a salesperson for five years and work for a very generous and honest dealer. This has been one of the worst years in recent memory for automotive sales, and I still made over $48,000. I live in an area where the cost of living is very low (a person can buy a modest but nice home in a safe area for under $100,000), so this is a pretty comfortable income. I do work on commission only, which can be stressful, but I do receive bonuses both from my dealership and the manufacturer.





In contrast, I know a person who works in a larger city as a car salesperson, and has a base salary. Even with bonuses and some commission, he only made around $33,000. He has been in the business for about the same length of time I have, and sells a similar number of cars (sometimes more, since he is in a high-traffic area and I am in a sleepy little town). I know this may not be the most help. but at least you have a couple more numbers to help you come up with an average. Good luck on your project!!|||I don't know a national average, but this may help. My friends is a car salesman and he gets a guaranteed $3000 US a month. He can make more he sales alot of cars. Each car he sells he get a commission. That commission is can not make him over $3000 until he has $3000 in commissions. Be cause of the guaranteed salary I would guess $3000 monthly ($36,000 annual) is the average for my area, or at least the dealers lot he works for.|||43,500 to 63,000 when I sold cars,about 3 years ago..|||It really depends on what kind of automobiles the sales representative is selling along with the location of the dealership, popularity of the brand name, etc.. Just about all people who sell cars are paid commission; and in some cases, a base salary.





One of my friends sells cars and is paid $10.00 an hour; but makes 2% commission for every car he sells. Here would be a breakdown for one month:





$10.00 x 40 hours a week = $400.00 a week


$400.00 a week x 1 month = $1600.00 a month





Car sales: Sold $250,000 worth of automobiles for one month


Commission: $250,000 x 2% = $5,000





Commission: $5,000


Base Pay: $1,600





Total Pay: $6,600 per month





Important notes:





*The friend above works at a Hyundai dealership; those that can not sell enough to match their base salary generally are those that don't come into work on a regular basis - and can be terminated.


*Again, some dealerships don't sell as many cars as others.


*Several dealerships do not offer a base pay.


*Overall sales are like a rollercoaster, some months are going up, others are going down. The less you sell, the less you make.


*Some dealerships may offer less than 2% commission or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment